The 2013 albums I enjoyed most:
Iron & Wine – Ghost On Ghost
- Strong songwriting, extraordinary musicianship (jazz great Brian Blade on drums!), a string and horn section, a classic 70’s styled record.
My Bloody Valentine – MBV
- Who knew that My Bloody Valentine’s beautiful ethereal noise would sound just as amazing in 2013 as Loveless did back in 1991?
The Heavy Blinkers – Health
- No one does orchestral pop any finer than these Haligonians. Really quite magnificent.
Rhye – Woman
- Slow, sultry, smokey, smooth, sexy, soulful, Sade-like … superb.
Adam Franklin & Bolts Of Melody – Black Horses
- Weird and wonderful, trippy and disorienting soundtrack-inspired psychedelia.
Michael Feuerstack – Tambourine Death Bed
- Well, okay, top 6 then. Warm and well-crafted acoustic guitar-based songs with tasteful clarinet and saxophone by Colin Stetson.